Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Birth story

Wow I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my beauties were born! Time really flies yet it has been a very busy and overwhelming 3 weeks. Things are starting to fall into place and we are getting adjusted to life with twins. Sorry I haven't updated. I feel like such a slacker but duty calls pretty much all the time. Like right now! The kids have been napping and now Rylie has decided to fuss! They are good kids! They sleep 3-4 hour stretches at night and they are ALWAYS hungry. I am nursing and it is SOOOO hard! It's pretty insane trying to keep up with twins! My mom had been out everyday for the past few weeks helping out while the hubs was working but starting yesterday I'm on my own! It's not so bad. Yesterday they wouldn't nap at the same time but today they have. So on to my birth story!

First off let me say it was a beautiful and amazing experience and I wish I could do it again! :) So I mentioned in my last post before going to the hospital that they called and wanted me there at 7pm. They told me to eat as I wouldn't be able to eat anything once I was checked in. Well, I had gone to the Cheesecake Factory that day with my two besties so I wasn't hungry. We talked to one of the nurses when we got there and she told me to go to the caf and eat something. I forced a cheese quesadilla down and we went back to labor and delivery to check in. One of the nurses told me that as long as I was at least 4 hours from starting Pit.ocin I could have a snack. I put on the sexy hospital gown, the put my IV in (just to have it ready), hooked me up to the monitor and started Cyto.tech to ripen my cervix around 8:30pm. I started with slight contractions pretty quickly after they put in the first dose of Cyto.tech. They were about 2 mins apart and that went on all night. The nurse checked on me again around midnight and gave me another dose. She expected that I would need 4 or 5 doses and we would start the pit around 10:30 am on the 8th. Around 2:30 am I got really hungry! My hubby was about to go get me some crackers when the nurse came in the my 3rd dose. She told me that I was thinning pretty quickly and that I would need only 1 more dose and we would start the pit. So that meant NO FOOD! OMG are you kidding me?! I was starving!!! Oh well- what do ya do? I just had to go with it.

I didn't sleep AT ALL that night. I was so excited and anxious. Also, the contractions we starting to pick up but they weren't unbearable. I kept watching the monitor and listening to my babies heartbeats. I was trying to take it all in cuz I knew I would miss being pregnant so much. I tried to sleep but really... Yeah just not gonna happen! They started the pit around 5:30 am. The not knowing when that day it would happen wa driving me crazy! I was still hooked up to the monitor and the belts around my belly were really obnoxious. Especially since I had that rash on my belly. Ughhhhh- so itchy!

The contractions started to pick up intensity but still 2 mins apart. My parents got there around 7:30 am. At 8:30 the Dr came in and said she wanted to break my water but I needed the epidi.dural first. The anesthesiologist came in around that time. I was pretty nervous for the epi but I held it together and I didn't cry! I laid on my side, curled up in a ball and he put it in. Wow what a crazy feeling! Like nothing I've ever felt before. I remember telling my mom right at first that I didn't like the feeling of dead legs but I got used to it. I was sooo tired after that. I think it was because I had been SO uncomfortable for so long and then I couldn't feel anything and could finally relax! I was in and out of a very drowsy sleep after that and for most of the day.

As I mentioned- I got the epi cuz my Dr wanted to break my water. Well right after I got it, she was called in for an emergency C-section so I had to wait until around 11:30 to have my water broken. Honestly, I could have waited for the epi if I had known it would still be a while before she broke my water. The contractions were getting more intense but I could handle it. I was dilated only to a 2 so it wasn't too bad. It seemed like I was at a 2 for sooo long! Even after she broke my water. I was starting to worry that I would miss having them on the 8th. I don't know if I mentioned before but I hate odd numbers! Yeah- weird I know! I really wanted them on the 8th for that reason and also cuz the date 6-8-10 is pretty cool! Anyway, she checked on me around 3pm and I was a 4. At 5pm I was an 8! That was pretty fast if you ask me! She kicked everyone out of my room and had me take a nap for an hour without distractions. That was very nice and I felt so much better after that nap.

At 6pm it was time to push BUT my O.R. was being used by ANOTHER emergency C-section. She told me to push a few times just there in my room to get everything started. This was nice cuz my mom,dad and mother in law could stay in there (no one but the hubs was allowed in the O.R). I pushed I think 4 or 5 times but everytime I would push, Max's (baby b) heart rate would drop so she had me stop until the O.R. opened up. They actually brought in an ultrasound machine to check on him. I had forgotten this until my mom reminded me. Scary! But all was well with both babies!

They wheeled me back to the O.R. at 7:40pm. Everything was ready for my babies. There were 2 little isolettes waiting for them. My heart was racing. This is it I kept thinking to myself. It's time to meet my precious babies! We were so excited and nervous and I just wanted everything to be ok. They hooked me back up to the monitor and I pushed through about 4 contractions and out came Miss Rylie Kate at 7:52pm weighing 5 lbs 10 oz and 19 in long. She was crying her sweet little head off and she was gorgeous! 1 1/2 contractions later out came Mr Max Brad at 7:54pm weighing 6 lbs 13 oz and 19 1/2 in long. He was chill. Just lookin around. No crying. Just handsome and perfect!

I am so lucky! My pregnancy was wonderful. My delivery was unforgettable and the most precious thing I have ever experienced. Words can't even describe how I feel about my delivery. One thing I can say is how fabulous I felt when each of them came out of me. Like a 2 ton weight was lifted off of me! :) Yes I do miss being pregnant and feeling them move inside of me. But now I have these gorgeous faces looking back at me. It's been hard. No doubt about it but so worth it! I know it will get easier and someday I'm going to want them to be newborns again. I am cherishing every moment I have with them. Before I know it they are going to be moving out of the house and starting a life on their own. Tear, tear.

1 comment:

Helene said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy to hear your birth story was such a wonderful experience!!! It made me tear up a little too!

Definitely enjoy this time, even though it's chaotic and challenging. They'll be walking and talking before you know it!