Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Diaper rash...

Max has a horrible diaper rash. Ugh! It's the saddest thing I've seen. His poor little bum is so red. I took him to the Dr. on Friday, they gave me an RX for a cream to start using and told me to buy some sensitive wipes with aloe. They said it would clear up in a day or two. Well yesterday it wasn't better, in fact it was worse. Around 2:30 I changed him and when I wiped him it started to bleed. I freaked out! I called the Pedi back and they got me right in. I saw someone different this time. It is a lady we have seen before. She has 7 kids and her 5th and 6th kids are twins. Anyway, she told me NOT to use wipes as that is what is irritating him so bad and the cream I got on Friday she would never use for diaper rash. She said the lady I saw on Friday doesn't have kids so she can't speak from experience. So basically what we are doing now is washing him under the faucet when he poops/pees, letting him air dry and then applying A&D Ointment. Last night we just let him air dry for about 5 hours straight then started putting a very loose diaper on him. Today it is looking a bit better but OMG it is still so red! Nothing could be more heartbreaking than to hear your 4 week old baby scream bloody murder every time you wipe his little bum. It brought me to tears every time. He is much better when we wash him off but he still cries. I think it is the poop that caused the rash and I think it is his formula that is making the poop cause the rash. We had to switch up our feedings a bit last week. I took the babies in for a weight check on Tuesday and they had only gained 1 and 2 ounces in 6 days. The pedi has me alternating feedings with breast milk and then formula. We are using Nutramigen. I know it is a good formula (and super expensive) but it has changed up their poop a bit. It is a little more runny than usual. Rylie started with some redness last night so we started doing the same with her as with Max and today the redness is gone- thank goodness!

Oh and I didn't mention that my hubby is out of town this weekend so he is missing out on all the fun! I'm staying with my parents and they have helped me soooo much! We miss Daddy and can't wait to see him tonight. I hope his rash continues to get better. It is sooo sad! He lets us know every single time he poops cuz he starts crying and making this noise that he just started making. You can tell he is in pain. My poor little man.

The kids are doing great other than the stupid rash. When we took Max to the pedi on Friday they weighed him and he weighed 7 lbs 13 oz. On Tuesday he was 7 lbs 6 oz so he has started gaining again. Whew! We didn't weigh Rylie but I am taking them back tomorrow or Tuesday for another weight check. I hope she has gained as well. She was only 6 lbs 3 oz on Tuesday. We have been going out and about even more than ever and they do really good. They sleep most of the time and hardly ever make a peep. I can't believe they turned 4 weeks old last Tuesday. Almost 5 weeks old! Oh my sweet babies! Life is starting to even out. I feel more comfortable with the twins and less overwhelmed. It is still hard but we are starting to get the hang of it!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I am no Dr. but we have found at my house that Aquaphor is the miracle ointment! It works on everything and for our kids a lot better than A&D. You may want to try it if A&D is taking too long.